Thursday, June 15, 2006

Phone Spam

Right off the bat I want to make clear my feelings on spam. I think spam gives spam a bad name. It used to be you could get some spam, spam, spam, eggs, spam, sausage and spam and not think the worst for it, but these dark days have even made the spamhearty cringe. I received a phone call this morning about some window people who "work with" Ontario Hydro who wanted to offer me a "free" estimate. Even before the woman could launch into her spiel I was rude and said "So you are trying to sucker me into buying windows I don't need". Now, I understand this is a job. This person is just trying to make a living, but, if one chooses to work in a field which is relying on your good manners and niceness not to hang up and hear them out, thereby using up your time (are we getting payed??) ; is that not rude? Is it not rude to invade a families privacy by obtaining their phone number and trying to stuff information down their throats that they haven't asked for? So, when that inevitable phone call comes, when you pick up the phone expecting a friend, work or even dear old mom and are greeted with "HithisisMarcyandIhaveagreatofferforyoutoattendCollingwoodresort
for3daysand2nightsforfreenowhowdoesthatsound?", don't worry about niceties. Just say in your most monotone voice "You are invading my personal privacy. How dare you. I hope a giant can of spam drops from the heavens and crushes you and your employer" and hang up.

1 comment:

Queen of Light and Joy said...

Good one, here here!